AP® Human Geography Teacher Resources
Free Resources for AP Human Geography Teachers
- Online resource for AP Human Geography teacher websites that align with AP HUG standards.
- Provides AP Human Geography teacher resources that range from critical concept videos and articles to ideas for lessons and assignments.
- Data visualization tool that people use to observe global trade flows across markets, track their dynamics over time, and look for each country’s opportunities for growth.
- The Atlas is the flagship tool of Harvard’s Growth Lab’s portfolio of visualization tools.
- Youtube channel that acts as an AP Human Geography teacher guide, in which Alizé Carrère dives into topics related to physical and human geography.
- Crash Course is a Youtube channel that provides free, high-quality educational videos on a variety of topics in a variety of subject areas.
- FRED, short for Federal Reserve Economic Data, provides data that is “widely reported in the media and play[s] a key role in financial markets.”
- Allows people to retrieve vintage versions of economic data from specific dates in history.
Other Resources for AP Human Geography Teachers
The above list of sites just scratches the surface of the free AP Human Geography teacher guides that can be used for instructional supplementation. There are additional ways AP HUG teachers can strengthen their teaching “toolbox” as well, and some of our favorites are listed below, however, some of the resources are not free.
AP Summer Institutes (APSIs)
Each summer, the College Board offers AP professional development through their AP Summer Institutes. During these summer sessions, teachers develop AP teaching skills and strategies and explore each section of the course and its exam.
AP Online Workshops
For educators who can’t attend in person, the College Board provides online workshops that teach strategies and tools to help AP staff to plan and focus their instruction.
Teacher Websites & Communities
There are a variety of social media platforms and websites that provide not only AP Human Geography teacher resources, but also a feeling of community. This list is by no means exhaustive, but we do recommend you check out the following:
- AP Human Geography Teachers (Facebook)
- AP Human Geography Teachers Page (Facebook)
- Classroom 2.0
- Flipped Learning Global Initiative Community
- Teachers Connect
- Teachers Network
- The Current
- The Educator Collaborative
Other Paid Resources
Here are some additional resources you can incorporate into your AP Human Geography lesson plans, as well. These may include a fee, but they offer high-quality supports.
Tips for Finding Quality AP Human Geography Resources
- Use tools that professionals in the field have produced. People without appropriate content credentials are less reliable than AP educators, journals that have been published, and companies that provide educational resources. For instance, the Learning Tools for AP Courses offered by UWorld only contain information created by previous AP teachers and subject-matter experts.
- Exchange resources with other teachers in the AP network for your district. When you attend professional development workshops in your content area, you can network with AP instructors outside of your school as well as inside it.
- Use textbooks. Online editions of many textbooks make it possible for teachers to locate the materials they require just as quickly as they would on other websites. In addition, these digital versions are more trustworthy than their printed counterparts.